Tuesday, February 3, 2009

new york egg cream anyone?

I like mine with "extra" chocolate syrup.

I have read/seen/thought about these for years!

Why has it taken me this long to make 'em?

I don't know.

My husband and I are both baffled as to why they are called Egg Creams when there is neither eggs nor cream inside of them. But, delightfully easy and a nice after dinner treat. Not as rich or as sweet as a milkshake, but decadent just the same.
New York Egg Cream
1/4 C half and half (you can use fat free!)
1 C chilled seltzer water
2 T chocolate syrup (or more if desired!)
Place a 16 ounce glass in the freezer for an hour to chill. Pour half and half into the glass, add seltzer water and stir with a spoon or straw until a thick foam forms. Pour chocolate syrup into glass and stir. Enjoy!


Emily said...

You have such great recipes! We'd love it if you'd join our recipe card swap!


Check it out! Share your recipes and get some new ones to try!

*jimaie.marie* said...

Ooo yum! I remember the first tim ei ever heard of one of these was when i read Harriet the Spy when i was a kid!
Now i want to go buy the stuff and make them for dessert tonight, i think the boys would love them! :D

Sabrina said...


I've been following your blog for a while now (I love your photography)and have recently started my own.

I've put your blog on my page as one of my faves, I hope that's ok!

Just thought I'd let you know :)

My blog is


if you happen to want to have a quick look but its still rather new :)


Jenna Lewis Cox said...


hope said...

That sounds so stinkin easy I just might try it... next week... when my hubby is home and I am done teaching preschool and doing our monthly menu.... Whew! Sounds good right no actually!!

misspro312 said...

I have been following your blog a while and it is the cutest!!

I don't care for seltzer, so I am little iffy about this.

But you always have great ideas and photos!

Astrid said...

Hmmmm...that recipe looks like...oh what's it called? French or Italian soda I think...I bet it's good though! I've never heard of anything called New York egg cream. I thought you were talking about a pudding! LOL!

Karen said...

Mmmmm... If only I weren't on a diet...

Brian and Staci said...

Mmmm..so yummy :) Never heard of this...but sure gonna give it a try :)

My Trendy Tykes said...

I have never heard of this.....But it sounds quiet tasty. I will have to try it.


Jennifer P. said...

Sounds like an italian soda to me! I remember reading you wanted one of Facebook and thinking---hmmmm....I wonder what that is :)!

texasdaisey said...

Stopped by to say hi & yummmmm! Love your background & header. Very cool.

Miki said...

Always find good stuff over at Emily's place. She's just fun.

Live.Love.Eat said...

I grew up on these in NY. No joke. We always went to my Grandma's and had Vanilla Egg Creams!!!!!!!!

Lanna said...

I've been making them for years, only by a different name and with a scoop of ice cream in each fountain glass.