Friday, July 29, 2011

{shaken} mint limeaid.




Two weeks ago my fabulous friend Cristina and I spent a Saturday morning at the Salt Lake City farmers market. It was a crowded mess of people, but an amazing display of produce, crafts, and food! I had the boys with me, so keeping them happy was my priority. I promised and gave into treats, knock knock jokes, and the threats of holding hands to keep us all together. The sun was hot, and beating wildly on our heads most of the morning-- so when the boys begged me for a drink, I had to oblige.


Out of the corner of my eye, I saw 3 hippies shaking up mint limeaids in mason jars and pouring them into cups. At $4 a pop, they were a bit pricey, but there was nothing else around! My first sip proved to be so satisfying that as soon as I got home, I rushed to the store for limes and mint. After a quick ramble around my pantry for an old mason jar-- I was in business and mixing limeaid for myself for less than 25 cents a serving!


I don't have exact measurements, but I replicated as best as I could and the results were just as refreshing and tasty. If you decide to make your own, you might have to experiment a bit to get the flavor just right...

First, I cut up about 4 limes, juiced them, and cut them into quarters.


Then, I put about 4 lime quarters in the bottom of my mason jar, along with a few sprigs of mint:



Then I added about a quarter cup of lime juice (maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more... I did it all by eye instead of measuring cups).


Then, I filled the jar with ice about 3/4 of the way up.


1 or 2 teaspoons of sugar

Last, I filled the jar with water, just past the ice. I topped the jar with the lid (tightly!) and did a little:

After I poured it all into a glass (everything, limes and mint included) I added a paper straw and sipped to my hearts content. Mmmmmmmm....

Fun, quirky, and delicious! My new summertime favorite!

2 comments:

hope said...

Food Storage geek that I am, I did the same thing with my fave from Sonic... the Cranberry Limeaid! Half a glass of cranberry juice (which I keep in my 3-month pantry), two packets... for a tall glass, one for a regular glass.... True Lime crystallized Lime (awesome stuff), half glass of water (cause I don't like things too strong). Chill and enjoy! I will have to try a food storage version of this one as soon as I can figure to.

***LIZ*** said...

Yum! Why did I not see this before I went to the store, nuts! I will have to go again tomorrow, I need me some hippie lime juicy-juice.