Friday, May 27, 2011

a slight obsession starts with black paint.

Two weeks ago, I wrote an article about making your own silhouettes, here. It was my most popular article to date, bringing in over 35,000 hits in just a week!
.




After that, it made me think a little bit. How could I make the silhouette a bit more interesting? How could I raise the bar.

So, this time around, I started to think smaller--- I printed off the photos as usual, cut the face line, and got out my trusty black paint.


And then, I *gasp* decided to take it one step further:


I collect old and vintage books, so finding the best one to use for this project was difficult-- BUT, I am sure I will have another project in the future that requires old book pages-- so I donated it to crafting purposes! You can find vintage books anywhere from your local thrift shop, to a Friends of the Library sale, garage sale, or even online. I won't rip something that I paid more than $1 for though!


.


Next, I removed the inside of the picture frame I selected, and used it as a template for cutting the book page down to size.

When you do this, take a quick scan of the page and make sure there are not any strange words or phrases on it.




Find the middle of the page, and:




I would use an archival adhesive that is found in the scrap booking section of your local craft shop.
.



Place the silhouette in the frame, and presto!



I love it!




I think mine make the perfect:




5 comments:

Cristina said...

Such a cool idea I love it!

the duchess said...

Such a grand idea! I love vintage books, too. I always peep the religious section of Half Price Books for cool, old hymnals.

hope said...

Those are fantabulous!!! I finally made silhouettes of my kids this year. I loved how they turned out! Yours are amazing!! Great idea.

c.w.frosting said...

Simple and lovely! Also loving your houndstooth background!

-caroline @ c.w.frosting

Lizette said...

I love this! I followed your advice and made my own for my two little boys and linked your blog into my post. You can read it at http://justourlovelylife.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweet-silhouettes.html Your blog is one that I always look forward to reading!