Friday, February 25, 2011

Improvising Martha Stewart and forgetting the chickpeas.

I am a huge fan of Martha Stewarts Everyday Food Magazine. I love getting my copy every month and flipping through the glossy pages picking out future meals for my family. Each copy I own is scarred with dog ears, pen marks, and little slips of random paper to secure that each treasured recipe is found again.

Sometimes though, I improvise a bit. I add things to take things out to settle better with my families personal tastes. For example, my version of the recipe I made this weekend Greek Salad With Chickpeas did not contain any chickpeas. I forgot to add them to my shopping list, so I just left them out and added some balsamic glazed chicken I pan fried, instead.

When I don't plan our meals properly for the week, I find no delight in cooking. All I want to do is grab some bowls, cereal, and milk. When there are fun recipes to try with new ingredients, and things I have never tasted before, it is the perfect way to:
For this particular meal, my chickpea-less version of the Greek Salad With Chickpeas, it was a late meal, so I requested everyone get into their jammies first. (Including me!) I love cooking in my jammies.
.
And of course, it's always:


Two months ago, Jeff went to Buenos Aries and brought me back a whole wooden crate of imported olive oil. This guy, he knows the way to my heart for sure. So, when I cook anything, I use:
This meal was so good, I wanted to share with you.
Everyone in our family gave it a two thumbs up!
Greek Salad with Chickpeas (Balsamic Chicken)
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
2 T fresh lemon juice (I also added 1 t of lemon zest)
2 T extra virgin olive oil
coarse salt and pepper
1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 cup of grape tomatoes (too expensive, I used chopped Roma tomatoes)
1/2 C crumbled feta (I used the whole container, which measured 1 cup)
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (Forgot to add to my shopping list, remember??)
1/2 C kalamata olives, chopped
1/2 C lightly packed parsley leaves
.
(I also added:
4 chicken breasts-- one per person)
balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper)
.
In a large bowl, combine onion, lemon juice, (zest), and oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss well to combine and let sit for 5 minutes.
.
Heat a medium, oiled frying pan. Drizzle your chicken breasts with the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat until the juices run clear and the outside forms a golden crust. Set aside.
.
To the salad bowl, add the cucumber, tomatoes, feta, chickpeas, olives, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Put a serving of salad on each plate.
.
Chop the chicken breasts and add one on top of each salad.
Enjoy!

6 comments:

Carrie said...

That is one of my favorite magazines as well. And while I would have been jealous by the fact that your hubby was on the beach while you were in the grocery the olive oil would definitely comfort me. :)

So glad you are back!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

I love that magazine too! I'm not the biggest fan of the original MS magazine but I love the Everyday Food one.

So jealous of your lovely imported olive oil! Have you ever tried any of the fancy schmancy balsamic vinegars? Ooo la la!

Trish said...

Both beautiful and yummy. I think I need this for dinner tonight... Hmmm....

the duchess said...

Don't cry for me, Argentina. Looks delicioso!

Eve said...

Mmm.... the perfect salad!

Emily said...

Carrie, I am trying to find comfort in the oil... I would rather be lounging beachside!!

Astros, I also love the everyday food over the MS mag, I think the recipes are a little more down to earth and every day pantry friendly!! There are some great ideas in there!! I need some fancy balsamic for sure, all I have is the cheap stuff right now.

Trish, it was so yum!! Did you end up making UT??!!

I miss you Sarah!!

Eve, Greek salad is my fave!!