Thursday, February 10, 2011

mirror, mirror, on the wall...

When we moved into this house, I had every intention of ripping out the raw edge mirror in the downstairs bath and replacing it with a framed one. We had removed a mirror in our Texas house and it was a piece of cake... but there was one problem! The builders in this house glued all of the bathroom mirrors to the wall with gobs and gobs of sticky glue. Removing any mirrors might mean needing to have the wall retextured and costly repair.

I hate changing plans! I had it all planned out perfectly in my mind!

Plan B: tile it. Besides,

I started my little designcapades by painting the bathroom first. I wanted something chocolate brown and rich-- not only for the design aesthetic, it's basically a boy proof color. I'm all about that!
At Lowes I purchased two sheets of tumbled marble tile.
BONUS, they were clearance priced at $7 each!
I trimmed them from the plastic mesh, making sure to take great care in cutting the plastic right down to the edge.

I also purchased a silicone adhesive for $3.50. This one boasted that it could be used to put together glass for a fish tank, so I figured it would also be boy proof and outlast anything mine could throw at them!

I spent the next hour cutting, squeezing, and sticking.



The trickiest part was the top! Just use a little painters tape to keep them in place.
Not bad for an hour of work!
I love it!
The best part, it was so cheap!

15 comments:

Brian and Staci said...

Love it!!! Verrrry craft indeed!!! Yay you!!

Amanda Bailey Halliday said...

outstanding...great job emily.

Sandy said...

I love it! Fabulous!

Brigg and Dianne said...

I am so glad you are back, relocated, healthy, and happy! I had almost given up on you. Love the bathroom mirror, too!

badger girl said...

brilliant! i'm gonna have to remember that trick...seems our carpenters had the same overly-happy glue gun approach~! :)

Erin said...

Pretty!

hope said...

Unbelievable!! I may have to steal your idea for my girls bathroom... along different lines though. Hmmmmm

hoLLy said...

I wish you would've posted this idea 4 1/2 years ago when we moved here! Our downstairs mirror is like that and I hate it. I've just stared at it for 4 1/2 years instead of doing anything about it. Cuz Holly=Lazy :) And now we have plans to move. . .too late! I'm not gonna tile it for the next people :)

hoLLy said...

Btw, I meant to write how much I love the idea too:) It looks awesome.

Amy said...

Yeah I'm glad your back! Man you have had a lot going on. I'm so glad to hear your little man is ok. I love the winter photos and your mirror project. You are so creative. Stay warm friend.

Doran & Jody said...

So Cleaaava!
I LOVE it.

Sara said...

WOW! This looks so good, I was going through my house in my head trying to figure out if I could do this somewhere! Texas to Utah huh? What a change that is! I'm in California, and we are expecting the BIGGEST storm coming up this weekend. We are up by Lake Tahoe, and there is like 12 feet of snow up there right now! So, yes, you must make the best of it! Candy always works like a charm. Plus the kids loved getting to lick candy off the fresh white snow. Who wouldn't??!? I'm so happy you're back, yours was one of my favorite blogs!

Unknown said...

Did your mirror have clips that held it to the wall also? Not sure how to go around them on my mirror???

Unknown said...

BRILLIANT IDEA! THANK YOU!

Unknown said...

Great idea, I'm gonna try this.