Friday, March 18, 2011

a sweater for your soap.

Recently, I've been intrigued by:

I did a little research and when I found out how laughably easy it was, I knew we had to make some! I love how it looks like your:
All you need is a few bars of soap (any size) and some wool roving. It's wool that's washed, carded, and dyed. This was the perfect opportunity to use up all of those hotel soaps I had under my sink! It is easier than easy. Take very small pieces of the wool and wrap your soap snugly, like a baby papoose. Cris cross your wool so it stays together.
Don't be too concerned with the placement of the wool. Remember, it an:
Next, Just:
Fill your sink with hot water. Gently scoop a few drops over your soap and tap, tap, tap. Don't rub too much in the beginning or the wool will fall off. Just keep tapping until you see some suds forming.
Once it's sudsy, you can rub all of the sides. Rub it around for about 10 minutes, or until the wool has "felted" or shrunk down and around the sides of the soap to form a cocoon.
Squeeze out the excess water, and allow to try overnight. They are perfect for gifts!

No washcloth required! Felted soaps create a sudsy soaping experience with just a touch of water!

6 comments:

Laura said...

Well, how fun! This is a new craft on me. Great idea!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

I've been meaning to make some of these using my homemade soaps. I just need to find the wool (where did you get it? Did you have to order it?).

Emily said...

Thanks girls!!

I got the wool at Hobby Lobby, it was pretty inexpensive too.

Elena said...

Wow, that is something I have never seen or heard of. Where have I been? Pretty neat though!

Eve said...

Huh... I like it.
I also have A LOT of those stupid hotel soaps hanging around! Yay - a way to get rid of them, without looking cheesy and cheap - Lol!
Thanks for the directions!

the duchess said...

That's about the cutest little gnome's wheelbarrow filler I've seen yet.