Tuesday, April 12, 2011

doing the salsa, with a cinnamon side step.

Sometimes, I loose track of the fruit that I have stashed away in the nooks and crannies of my kitchen. The strawberries that I bought last week, they reside behind the milk on the bottom shelf of my fridge. The bag of apples still sit in the wide ceramic bowl atop my kitchen table, and oh yeah--- I have two bunches of bananas turning more and more freckly brown with every passing day. It's got to be eaten!

So what do I do?


I make:

This time I added, strawberries, pineapple, oranges, apples, and lime zest. Sometimes a mix in a little strawberry jam, or a sprinkle of sugar. And then, the best part... chips! I just use one of the random bags of corn tortillas I have in the inner depths of my pantry. (Why do I always seem to have a bag of those hanging around?!) I place them on a cookie sheet, add a brush of melted butter, a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar, a slice with the pizza cutter, and a bake in the oven until crispy and brown. But really, they are: And, you can't mess with perfection.

4 comments:

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Now that's an interesting take on fruit salsa! I've always had fruit salsas with onion and cilantro...and served over fish.
Mmmm! I'm going to have to try this! I bet it'd be great mixed in with my homemade granola too! http://thelopsidedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/04/tuesdays-special-my-favorite-granola.html

I'm wondering why I don't have a bag of corn tortillas?!?

Tracy P. said...

I could seriously do that. Right. Now. I think my kids might just love it!

Laura said...

Thanks for the great idea on the tortillas. I always seem to have some and never use them up in the traditional way! Love that fruit salsa - so colorful, and I'll bet yummy!

Heather Rae said...

Looks good and sounds good, but I'm on an anti-inflammatory diet. Gotta take care of the insides before the taste-buds. :(