Friday, April 8, 2011

feeding my family (for $5)

Earlier this week, I challenged my readers on SITS to a contest, here.

Do you think you could feed a family of four for about $5 or less? I've done it, and I do it a lot. I have about a dozen or so penny pinching recipes that I pull out of my back pocket multiple times a month. So, in lieu of the Dinner on a Dime contest, I thought I would post my most favorite recipe for you! Beef and Broccoli noodle bowl. Here is how my estimations break down.

.

Fettuccine noodles: $1 for 1 package

.

Stir Fry Beef: $2.68 for .84 lb at #3.19 per pound.

.

Carrots: 2 for $0.25 (out of a $0.75 cent package)

.

Broccoli: 1/2 lb for $0.75

.

Hoisin sauce: 2 Tablespoons for $0.25 out of a jar for $2.50

.

Italian dressing: 1/2 Cup for $0.25 cents out of a bottle for $1.

.

Total cost: $5.18

...

Chop your veggies into bite size pieces. Meanwhile, heat enough water in a large pot to cook your fettuccine. In a large frying pan stir fry your beef until browned, and then remove from heat. When your water comes up to a rapid boil, add your fettuccine. Cook half way, and then add the veggies. Boil until pasta is al dente' and veggies are crisp tender. Drain pasta and veggies in a colander and add them to the beef. Return to heat. Add Hoisin sauce and Italian dressing. Stir well, coating the noodles and veggies. Serve and enjoy!

9 comments:

Beth said...

Sounds ab fab! Might try that this weekend! Maybe with chicken, instead!

Jessie said...

Great recipe. I love your beautiful bird tray. May I know where you got it? Also, do you mean 'hoisin' sauce? :)

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Emily said...

Of course! Yikes, I thought I typed Hoisin, just fixed it, thanks!!

I got the tray at Ikea!!

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! I love your blog, now following!

Emily said...

Thanks Laila!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Oh man...I just read that you got the tray at Ikea! Guess that means I've got a 9 hour round trip road trip ahead of me (to get one)! LOL!

I saw the contest on SITS....I was wondering....I've got a lot of home canned veggies & fruits. They're "free" to me but not free if you had to purchase those items. Would I have had to factor in the cost of those items if I had to purchase them?

I'm always on the look-out for an awesome & easy & fast recipe!

Amy said...

Oh yum! Thanks for the great dinner idea. Heading to the store now:)

the duchess said...

Never would've thought to add Italian dressing to an Asian noodle dish but I'll have to try it.

Jenn Erickson said...

I saw your recipe featured at SITS and just had to come by to check it out! Delicious...affordable...what's not to love? Thank you so much!

New follower,
Jenn/Rook No. 17