Friday, June 26, 2009

what's for breakfast.

Being a mother, I know that the mornings come super early around here. It's always the chanting for breakfast that finally pry my sleepy body out of the warm covers. I cannot tell you how nice it was to tell the kids to go eat a cookie this morning and get an extra few minutes catching some Z's.



Breakfast Cookies
1 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour (white or whole wheat)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
2 c. "Special K" or other flaky breakfast cereal. (I used raisin bran)
1 c. oatmeal
Raisins, dates, nuts, etc. optional (I used golden raisins)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In larger mixer bowl, beat shortening, sugars, and eggs and vanilla until light and creamy. Gradually blend in flour mixture. Stir in oatmeal and breakfast cereal, and raisins or dates etc. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheets. A great breakfast or snack.

21 comments:

Letti said...

What a great idea and my kids would just think they were regular cookies. Brilliant!

Linda said...

I wish I still baked cookies! I did sent your site to my lovely DIL, and I'll be she makes them.

Thanks for the recipe!

Carrie said...

Sounds yummy! I'll have one of those and a piece of ding dong cake please!

Jennifer said...

I'm all over this-- Thanks for the recipe! =)

Gina said...

Yum!!

Candice said...

OOOOHHH I have been wanting to make something like this for a while, I have a picky eater, and he might just try it, if it was a COOKIE, Thanks!

imjacobsmom said...

That's a neat addition to oatmeal cookies. I'm going to have to give that a try. ~ Robyn

Live.Love.Eat said...

Too cute, I love the brown paper bag!

jenniferhoiyin said...

just stumbled upon your blog, it's lovely :)

Carrie said...

Two more things
1 You should join the daring kitchen. I wrote about on my blog, but it seems like it would be right up your alley. Lots of fun!

2 Did you make the trivet type thing in the last picture that all of the cookies are sitting on? It is too cute!

the duchess said...

Cookies for breakfast rocks. No chocolate milk, too? ;o)

Ashley said...

Emily- This whole time I thought you were gone. I guess I was looking at your old blog? How sad!!

hoLLy said...

cookies for breakfast...can i marry you? :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm... I might be able to drag my daughter out of bed for a cookie...

Casey said...

i made these this morning...and omg! delish! thanks for sharing! :)

Eve said...

Yum! I might give a batch of those a try this morning!

UtahJenny said...

I've been wanting to make these, thanks for the motivation.

Colleen said...

I just made these cookies. YUM! Thanks for the recipe. But when I took mine out of the over, they were still really soft - eventually they hardened up. Is this correct?

Jenn said...

Love this idea! Would like to cut some of the sugar :) I also love the trivet, if you have a pattern I would love to see it!

~C~ said...

LOVE these, my kids thought they were the best things since sliced bread. I even passed it along to another Mommy Blogger so she can make it for her kids, I linked to this post, as much as I'd love to have come up with this idea myself I couldn't take credit for this brilliant recipe. Love your blog, I wish I were half as creative...I constantly use your recipes.

Multi-talented Mama said...

So creative! Has anyone tried substituting shortening with anything else?